Make it a Xmas break – not break in
November 26, 2019
With the Festive Season fast approaching, (can you believe it), we wanted to share a “timely reminder” whilst there’s much to celebrate, consideration should be also given to some simple security ideas.
As many of us head off for our Christmas holiday break, it’s important to maintain an illusion of being around and not to highlight that there’s no one at either your home or business premises.
There are many telltale signs for unwelcome guests with some of these being -:
- Built-up of mail delivery
- No lighting systems in use
- Lack of general activity
- The usual alarm system not working (i.e. our dogs being away)
- Signage highlighting office/business closure
Before you head off and start sipping Pina Coladas by the pool, consider how you are going to give the appearance of someone being at home or at work. Here are a few thought starters for you:
- Get someone to collect the mail: If you cannot get a neighbor to do this, arrange with Australia Post to get your mail redirected (link https://auspost.com.au/receiving/manage-your-mail/redirect-hold-mail/redirect-mail)
- Get smart lights: With an abundance of technology available, you can set up simple things like smart lights that allow you to turn on your lights with a tap of an app. (Bunning have an inexpensive range https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/smart-home/smart-lighting-power/smart-light-bulbs)
- Put a RING on it: A Ring is a video doorbell with an inbuilt camera which allows you to respond to anyone at your door anytime by using an app. You can give the appearance of being there but being too busy to open the door (even though you could be thousands of km away). Check it out here > https://au-en.ring.com/
- Keep it maintained: If you are aware for a couple of weeks, your lawns and gardens can become overgrown very quickly. Arrange for someone to come and give them a quick mow to ensure the premises looks lived in. It also helps to see activity on site.
- If you own a business, ensure that relevant security authorities have been advised of the dates you are away or liaise with your building management to have your floor locked down.
The holidays are a time to be enjoyed and no one wants to return home to the news that your home or business have been broken into, vandalised or damaged.
Better to be safe than sorry so make a little bit of effort now and you can sleep a lot sounder knowing you have minimised the risk of a Xmas break-in.
If you would like to check on your coverage, get in touch with your personal Rivers broker or contact our offices directly :
Brisbane :07 3028 9494
Cairns : 07 4051 8422
Innisfail : 07 4061 1766
If you do come back to the worst, we are here to help. Call our Claims Team on 07 3028 9494. They are here and ready to help 24/7.